US on the Edge - LaGuardia Bomb Scare

Today morning there was another bomb scare in the US. It was at the LaGuardia airport, the twin brother of JFK NY airport, one of the busiest airports in the world. The incident proved once again that we are all on the edge ever since 9/11.

Authorities evacuated New York's LaGuardia Airport's Central Terminal for several hours Saturday after a man with a bag containing wires and a battery entered the airport, a Port Authority spokesman said.

Most of the airport's main terminal was closed at 5:30 a.m./0930 GMT and travelers were allowed to return about 3 1/2 hours later. Jack Kelly, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, said the terminal's Concourse C, where the man was taken into custody, would remain closed until a crime scene investigation had been completed.

A law enforcement official close to the investigation said the man is Scott McGann, 32, of New York. Jack Kelly described the suspect as emotionally disturbed and New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said the man was drunk. The man raised the suspicions of a Transportation Security Administration employee because he appeared intoxicated, said Browne.

"He was carrying a hoax device," Browne said. "The hoax device consisted of batteries and wires in a duffle bag." The NYPD bomb squad determined the device was not dangerous. The terminal was evacuated shortly after 5:20 a.m., but by midmorning, all concourses in the terminal were reopened, with the exception of Concourse C, Kelly said. Authorities are treating the concourse, which serves American Eagle, United and United Express flights, as a crime scene, Kelly said. Concourse C will likely reopen in a few hours, he said.

Officials of the Port Authority, which operates the New York City area's three major airports, were working with affected airlines to reroute some travelers.

Comments :

0 comments to “US on the Edge - LaGuardia Bomb Scare”

Post a Comment

What are other's reading?